Monday, June 20, 2011

Katelyn's swimming lessons

The first 2 weeks of June Katelyn had her 1st swimming lessons.  She had 8 lessons, each lasting 30 minutes.  She would start out the lesson tilting her head to each side putting her ears under water.  She would then put her whole head under water.  Then the teacher would have them do things like dive for rings, practice floating on their backs, and kicking while holding on to the side of the pool. 

The lessons had one teacher and two kids.  While the teacher would take one kid out to practice a certain technique, she would have the other kid sit on the side.  I was so proud of Katelyn for obeying her teacher!  (let's just say the other girl in her group wasn't as well behaved) :)
Here is Katelyn practicing with her kick board. 
Then of course they finished each lesson with a few trips down the slide.  This was Katelyn's favorite part of each lesson! 
While I didn't think Katelyn gained all that much out of swimming lessons, I think I gained more just by watching.  I am very timid around water with the girls, but seeing what she can do and more importantly what a few of the older kids were doing, I have been able to give Katelyn my own swimming lessons each time we go to the neighborhood pool.  It has actually been amazing to see how far she has come in the last few weeks...  I'm also so impressed with Adelyn- you'll have to wait to see a video of what they can both do...

Speaking of Adelyn- she and I sat and watched Katelyn during her swimming lessons each day.  I was worried that 30 minutes of sitting out in the heat wouldn't be fun for Adelyn, however, she sat happily and read books, played with me, watched Katelyn and played with toys.  Sweet girl! 

No comments: