Yes, I'm referring to Katelyn. She is FINALLY potty-trained (when we're at home anyway!). I bought her the potty what seems like forever ago because I thought she was ready to start potty training, well, she wasn't. So, I held off a while, then we tried again, yet again, another failure. I knew Katelyn knew when she needed to go potty, she was just being stubborn and refused to tell me (can we blame her stubbornness on Jared???). She also could care less if she had a dirty or wet diaper which made potty training more difficult.
Well, finally last week I saw some Minnie Mouse underwear at the store and decided I'd give it one more try before sister's arrival. You have to understand, Katelyn is really into Mickey mouse shows, so I thought that just might do the trick. Voila, it worked! I told her she'd better not go potty on Minnie and she responded with, "Yea, I better not potty on Minnie because she'll cry." Since then she has only had one accident and it was when she couldn't get her pants down fast enough, which is understandable because she's not yet a pro at unzipping jeans!
In the title I said 'sort-of' potty trained- I say that because we are still putting on diapers/pull-ups on long outings, like to church. We've gone to run general errands and she'll ask to go potty at the store which is good. I'm following Stormi's (my sister-in-law) advice and am working on making Katelyn a 'big girl bag' so we can put her 'diaper bag' away and we can put her needed items in that bag to take to church. Hopefully it will make her feel more grown-up and we can say bye-bye to daytime diapers!!!
Amy McAdams told me to give some pointers on potty training so here they are:
1. Don't listen to me, it took me way longer than expected.
2. Don't have set expectations because of what someone else's child did- each kid is different!
3. Go with the flow, I got frustrated and should have just relaxed because I think Katelyn picked up on my frustration.
4. Do what works for you!
5. Pray, of course this is just a general rule of thumb, but sometimes I forget to pray for things like this because I (I'm speaking as a mom) feel it is my 'duty' to teach KG things, like potty training. In actuality, God wants to lead us in every aspect of our lives, and that includes potty training!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for those tips, super mom!! I will keep them in my back pocket for Miss Brin. :0)
Post a Comment